Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Ten Best Books to Read Out Loud

I love reading out loud.It's one of my favorite things to do. When my husband and I want to read the same book, we take turns reading chapters out loud to each other. If a friend or family member is in the hospital, I enjoy visiting them and reading out loud. Reading out loud to children is such fun for me, and I love imitating the voices of different characters. This is where my love of theatrics and acting comes out. I really love reading out loud.

As such, my favorite books are great to read out loud. To avoid being repetitive I will restrict myself to only one from my favorites book list to include in this list.

1. 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie' by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond
This book is such a sweet book that is so nostalgic for me. It's not only a book, but it's been performed on stage for children and is also available on CD. It's a wonderful book to read to your children and the children of friends and family. There is also a companion book called 'If You Give A Moose a Muffin', just in case the little ones in your life can't get enough of the exponential logic of silliness!

2. 'Fox in Socks' by Dr. Seuss
This book is such a fun read because it is meant to be read out loud. It's one giant tongue twister! Don't be discouraged if you stumble- that's part of the fun! My godson loves it when I stumble over the words and we always have a good laugh over it. It's even fun to challenge one of your friends to- have a tongue twister contest with it if you don't have a child to read it out loud to.

3. 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Diana Wynne Jones
This is my all-time favorite book. This book is my favorite book to read out loud to loved ones who are ill (or simply to get them interested in my favorite author). It is an exciting book that isn't too extreme or stressful. It is a fun book, with a lot of adventure and wonderful voices to imitate. My favorite voice, which took me a while to finally get the way I wanted it to sound, is the voice of Calcifer, the fire demon. It is a great book to read out loud to children and adults alike.

4. 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens
This book is one of my mother's favorite books, and very early on it became one of mine, too. This is one of Dickens' shorter books, and could easily be read through the month of December before the Christmas holidays to help get people in the spirit. Don't be intimidated by Dickens' language. it really isn't hard, and this particular book has a lot of humor in it. Interestingly, The Muppet Christmas Carol is a filmed version that makes good use of quotes from the book and I highly suggest that version if you want to watch a version to introduce young readers to the book.

5. 'Seasons' by Robert Frost
This is a book of poems by Robert Frost. I specify this particular collection because the poems are grouped together by season, and accompanied by gorgeous photos. Reading out loud isn't just about the words you're reading, but also about the visuals, and this book really transports you into the world Frost is writing about.

6. 'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funke
I first heard this book as a book on tape when I had an hour commute both ways while going to massage school in Florida. It's a longer book, and takes some time to read out loud because of the length. If you saw the movie, you might have a lighter impression of the book. This is the first in a trilogy, followed by 'Inkspell' and 'Inkdeath'. As you can imagine, it's a darker book than the movie might let on, but it's a beautiful story that really explores the depth of human emotion, love, ambition, and creativity. If you have a long road trip coming up, I suggest having a companion read it out loud or getting the audiobook.

7. 'The Horse and His Boy' by C.S. Lewis
This is my favorite book of the Narnia series, and the most underrated in my humble opinion. It takes place during 'The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe', and follows the story of a boy escaping his life of servitude into the northern country of Narnia on a Horse named Bree. I don't think it's ever been turned into a film, which I find to be a great tragedy.

8. 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' by J.K. Rowling
The Harry Potter series has arguable made a huge impact in encouraging young children to read, and has been doing so for many years. I love her books, and the fact that they age with her readers. I got to grow up with Harry, Hermione, and Ron, since I was 11 when the first one came out. It is such a wonderful book to read out loud, and I suggest it to anyone who wants to get their children into reading.

9. 'Treasure Island' by Robert Louis Stevenson
I adore Stevenson's books, 'Treasure Island' most of all. There have been so many adaptations of this book, into cartoons, movies, and stage plays. It is a well known story, but with several elements that are often left out of films, so there will be plenty of new material to experience. It is such an adventurous book with plenty of danger and intrigue, and a great book to read out loud to anyone.

10. 'The Hobbit' by J.R.R. Tolkien
This book is a great one to read for young adults. I've heard several people say that Tolkien's books are better left to adult, and I profoundly disagree with this statement. I read 'The Hobbit' when I was in elementary school. I think I was in 5th grade. It is a great book to read out loud, for many of the same reasons as 'Treasure Island', and is a great introduction to Tolkien's books.

Reading out loud is a wonderful way to introduce friends and family to your favorite books and authors, as well as encourage a love of reading in young people. Are there any books you enjoy reading out loud? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment