Friday, March 13, 2015

Terry Pratchett Passes On

I didn't know Terry Pratchett. I'm not a journalist. I am not even an avid reader of his books, as much as I wish I was. Though several of his books are on my "To Read" list, the only ones I've read at this point are 'Going Postal', and I am currently working on 'Making Money'. Two books in his extensive career are hardly enough for me to have a real sense of his work or appreciate it as much as it is due.

In that case, I don't think I should write an obituary for the man. There are plenty of them out there, and they can convey his colorful career and deep connections with friends and family better than I could. Instead, I'd like to discuss how people we have never met, often authors, actors, and others in the arts, leave such a lasting impression on us that when they pass, it feels as though a close friend has left us.

When I found out Diana Wynne Jones had passed away, I was inconsolable for days. I had never met the woman, hadn't written any fan mail to her, hadn't ever tried to contact her. We didn't even live in the same country. She had no idea I existed. But I was very aware that she did. Her books made such an impression on me that my taste in literature has been colored ever since. My writing style, and love of fantasy and fiction were cultivated by her books. I harbored a slight resentment at J.K. Rowling, at first, because I noticed so many similarities in the Harry Potter series as I did with Jones' novels, like Chrestomanci. I got over the very quickly, though, and read Rowling's books.

Jones' books have gotten me through difficult times by being a steady source of comfort and learning. There is always something new to find in her books, no matter how many times I've read them. I've probably read 'Howl's Moving Castle' 20 or 30 times, and I have every intention of reading it 20 or 30 times more.

So while I didn't have that kind of relationship with Pratchett's books, I absolutely understand the kind of grief that is being expressed over Pratchett's passing, especially at such a young age (only 66) from something has nefarious as Alzheimer's. Couple that with Leonard Nimoy's recent passing, and the passing of Robin Williams (who played one of my favorite versions of Peter Pan), Mickey Rooney (a regular voice actor as Santa Claus for the claymation Christmas specials) and Richard Attenborough, (another wonderful Santa Claus), it only makes sense that we should feel this passing so sharply.

When Diana passed, it seemed that no one understood why I should be so bereft and disconsolate over the passing of a woman I had never met. Some of these people are expressing a similar kind of sorrow over Pratchett's passing. Where I find myself irritated that they attempted to invalidate my grief that is so similarly present in themselves over Pratchett's passing, I also understand absolutely where they are coming from.

What I am saying is that it is perfectly fine to feel this sorrow. So what if others don't understand it? That doesn't matter. Your sadness is valid, and it matters. Pratchett, like so many other authors, touched so many lives with his books and left such lasting impressions. It's beautiful, really. So let yourself process the grief, and spread your love of his books around. That's one of the best ways you can honor his legacy.

How did Pratchett impact your life? What books of his do you love? Are there any other authors that have had a similar impact for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment