Sunday, March 15, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge - Always adding new books and updating!

I am doing a Reading Challenge that was shared with me by my good friend, Carla Day! I have had a very late start, but I'm working on it.

Here is the URL if you are interested in joining me on it! 2015 Reading Challenge
Below you will find the list of what I plan to read, what I have read, and what I have yet to choose for the category. Let me know if there are any you would suggest!

  1. A book with more than 500 pages - 'Shogun' by James Clavell (recommended by Donna Kutlus and Jon Bryant)
  2. A classic romance -  'Persuasion' by Jane Austen
  3. A book that became a movie - 'Ella Enchanted' by Gail Carson Levine (recommended by Laura Hilton)
  4. A book published this year - 'Go Set A Watchmen' by Harper Lee (recommended by Toni Lancey)
  5. A book with a number in the title - 'Counting by Sevens' by Holly Goldberg Sloan (recommended by Melanie Barth and Mighty Girls)
  6. A book written by someone under 30 - 'Hollow City' by Ransom Riggs
  7. A book with non-human characters - 'The Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame
  8. A funny book - 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett
  9. A book by a female author - 'Goldie Blocks' by Debbie Sterling (This is a kids book and it comes with toys. I'm really psyched for this one.)
  10. A mystery or thriller -
  11. A book with a one word title - 'Fingersmith' by Sarah Waters (recommended by Lisa Ferguson)
  12. A book of short stories - 'Witches and Ghosts, Pirates and Thieves, Murder and Mayhem' compiled by John P. Hunter
  13. A book set in a different country - 'Bamboo People' by Mitali Perkins (recommended by Terry Doherty)
  14. A nonfiction book - 'Indoor Kitchen Gardening' by Elizabeth Millard (I picked this one up at the Denton Public Library!)
  15. A popular author's first book -
  16. A book from an author you love but haven't read yet - 'Reflections' by Diana Wynne Jones
  17. A book a friend recommended - 'Eyes of the Dragon' by Stephen King (recommended by Jon Bryant)
  18. A Pulitzer Prize winning book -
  19. A book based on a true story -
  20. A book at the bottom of your to-read list -
  21. A book your mom loves - 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens
  22. A book that scares you - 'A Clockwork Orange' by 
  23. A book more than 100 years old - 'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas (published in 1844, recommended by Jon Bryant)
  24. A book based entirely on the cover -
  25. A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't - 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Harper Lee (another recommended by Melanie Barth)
  26. A memoir - 'Still Foolin' 'Em' by Billy Crystal (recommended by Jon Bryant)
  27. A book you can finish in a day - 
  28. A book with antonyms in the title -
  29. A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit -
  30. A book that came out the year you were born -
  31. A book with bad reviews -
  32. A trilogy - 'Inkheart', 'Inkspell', and 'Inkdeath' by Cornelia Funke
  33. A book from your childhood - 'The Hobbit' by J.R.R. Tolkien
  34. A book with a love triangle - 'Splintered' by A.G. Howard
  35. A book set in the future - 'Old Man's War' by John Scalzi (recommended by Lisa Ferguson)
  36. A book set in high school - 'Shadow's Edge' by Maureen Lipinski
  37. A book with a color in the title - 'The Color Purple' by Alice Walker
  38. A book that made you cry - 'Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher' by Bruce Coville
  39. A book with magic - 'Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh' by R.L. LaFevers (recommended by Deanna Easton)
  40. A graphic novel - 'Fun Home' by Allison Bechdel (recommended by Tyler Murphy)
  41. A book by an author you've never read before - 'Naked Lunch' by William Burroughs (recommended by David Pierce)
  42. A book you own but have never read - 'The Man in the Iron Mask' by Alexandre Dumas (recommended by Eden Lakner)
  43. A book that takes place in your hometown - 'Ghosts of Denton' by Shelly Tucker (Denton isn't technically my hometown, but I can't find any books set in Sharon Springs, NY. I wasn't born there, either, but I was 8 months old when we left Cleveland, Ohio, so I don't really count that as my hometown, either.)
  44. A book that was originally written in a different language - 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (recommended by Donna Kutlus)
  45. A book set during Christmas - 'The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus' by L. Frank Baum
  46. A book written by an author with your same initials - 'Home from the Sea' by Mercedes Lackey
  47. A play - 'The 39 Steps' by Patrick Barlow (recommended by Mike Strecher)
  48. A banned book -
  49. A book based on or turned into a tv show - 'America Entertains' by David Tutera
  50. A book you started but never finished - 'The Crown of Dalemark' by Diana Wynne Jones
Red means I have read it! Blue means I am currently reading it. If it is black and followed by a blank, then I need recommendations. If it is black but filled in, then it is on my list. Comment with recommendations!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a blast. Its hard, so many books fit into so many categories. My favorite thrillers are from Dean Koontz, like Sole Survivor or Intensity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Female Author- The 13th Tale by Diane Setterfield (amazing atmosphere in this one)
    One Word Title- Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (one of my favorite books of all time)
    Pulitzer Prize- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
    Trilogy- the Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman
    Set in the Future-Old Man's War by John Scalzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've chosen 'Fingersmith' and 'Old Man's War' from this list. I'm excited to read them!

      Delete
  3. Oh I found the new book by Lee Harper, as a sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set A Watchmen, was published this year. So was Burned, but I think its the 6th or 7th in the series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about Harper Lee's new book! I'm absolutely adding that to my list. Will you be reading it?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm very excited. Nicole and I put it on our lists, but I'd like to reread To kill a mockingbird first its been a long time.

      Delete
  4. This is a cool challenge! I have to give it a try. Here's a few suggestions for you, hon! :-)

    7. Book with non-human characters - The Wind in the Willows OR Any of the Narnia books
    9. Book by a female author - Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMasters Bujold OR The Hunger Games by Susan Collins
    11. Book with a one-word title - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon OR Sabriel by Garth Nix
    13. Book set in a different country - City of Shadows by Arianna Franklin
    19. Book based on a true story - The Killer Angels by Jeff Shaara
    37. Book with a colour in the title - The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
    44. Book originally written in a foreign language - The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From this list I have chosen 'The Wind in the Willows' and 'The Little Prince'. :) Diana talks several times about 'The Wind in the Willows' in 'Reflections'.

      Delete