Monday, March 23, 2015

Guest piece: Enchanted by Ella Enchanted by Laura Hilton

Once a week, my mom would load me, my older sister, and a number of foster siblings into her white mini van for a trip to one of my favorite places in the world: the library. Being homeschooled, there were only so many times I was able to have so much freedom.
Ella_enchanted_(book_cover).jpg

One particular day when I was visiting, I happened to read the "Children's Book Club Reading List." The book of the month was Ella  Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. I never actually attended the meetings, but upon reading the description on the flier for Ella Enchanted, I was enticed to check it out for myself. There was one lone copy in the small county library, and lucky for me, there were no holds. Score!

As soon as I got home, I began reading. And I never wanted to stop. I’m pretty sure I finished the  book that day, staying up past my bedtime under the covers with a flashlight to devour the final chapters. The story is a rather simple one, but it was love at first read. Ella Enchanted is a twist on the classic Cinderella story, but instead of the traditional “Woe is me,” oppressed female tale, it follows the story of an independent and feisty young lady (both qualities which I could easily relate to).


In the novel, Ella is “gifted” a curse upon being born. This curse makes her do whatever she is told, literally.
If someone told me to hop on one foot for a day and a half, I’d have to do it. And hopping on one foot wasn't the worst order I could be given. If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I’d have to do it. I was in danger at every moment.


Though she is cursed, Ella finds ways to rebel against those who want nothing to do but torture her and in the end, she is the hero. Of course, there is an evil stepmother, fairy godmother, extravagant balls, and a handsome prince, but the cliches of the story didn't stop me from hanging onto every last word.


After two weeks with the book passed, it was time to return it to the library. I insisted upon checking it out again and again. I did eventually return it, but the next year, when I was enrolled in public school, I ordered my very own paperback copy. I carried it with me everywhere. I read and re-read the book every few weeks. Anytime someone asked me if I recommended any books, I would enthusiastically suggest Ella Enchanted.


As I grew older, my fondness of the novel only grew. I finally handed over my copy to my little sister, who also seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. In fact, she hasn't been able to let go it of since. So if you have the time (and if you don’t, you should make some), pick up a copy of Ella Enchanted from your local used bookstore or library and get lost in Ella’s world of elves, ogres, fairies, and curses. You won’t regret it one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment