Thursday, June 11, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge Review - American Entertains by David Tutera

The second book I read for the Reading Challenge was actually number 49 on the list, the second to last one. I had just decided to read this book cover to cover, so I decided it was as good a candidate as any for the Challenge!

'America Entertains: A Year of Imaginative Parties' by David Tutera, a prestigious party planner, is a non-fiction book that discusses how Tutera coordinates the sophisticated events he puts on, from weddings, to house warming parties, to cookouts.

The television show I connected this one to is a show I watched on Netflix while planning my own wedding, 'My Fair Wedding', which later became 'My Fair Wedding: Unveiled'. The second incarnation made it more about the drama behind the scenes, which wasn't to my tastes, but the first incarnation gave great ideas on how to pick themes, choose colors, decide on tablescapes, and everything in between.

The television show focused on weddings, but this book expands on the types of soirees he plans. The book is broken down into twelve sections, one for each month, and each month shows us a reason to celebrate, from holidays, to anniversaries, to gallery openings, and each in a different city in the U.S. Each chapter discusses the first stages of inspiration and planning, the visuals and atmosphere, and the three E's: essentials, extras, and extravagances.

I love that he broke down the three E's. No one, not even Tutera, is pretending that we can all afford to get carved-ice shot glasses or caviar, but most of us can manage to put together wildflowers, terra-cotta pots for vases, or jazz music to inspire our guests. The three E's change for each event, too. Once the theme and location is chosen, what are the most important aspects that will define the essentials? Will it be flowers in a certain color scheme? Maybe it will be a particular kind of cocktail, or patriotic decoration. Extras are just to add a little splurge, like a decadent dessert. He includes chocolate-dipped rose petals in this section for a Valentine's Day party, and the recipe does not look as hard to make as it sounds! Extravagances are for those extra-special events when you can and want to go all out, like one a custom made velvet tablecloth.

Each chapter also contains recipes for the cocktails, meals, and hors d'oeuvres served, and I cannot wait to start cooking some of these up. I may have to come up with some party excuses just to give them a try!

Rank: A
I really enjoyed this book, as I love putting on parties and events, trying new recipes, and figuring out different ways to celebrate the love I have for my friends and family. This book is a perfect fit for anyone interested in event planning, It's appropriate for any age!

No comments:

Post a Comment