Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Birthday and a Book

Today is the birthday of a good friend of mine, Carla.

Carla is one of the most avid readers I know. Remember the 2015 Reading Challenge? She's the one who got me started on it. When I was afraid no human being would have read 'Howl's Moving Castle' without me having to introduce them to it, she has read it. When we're talking about books, she'll introduce me to books I have never heard of, and make them sound fascinating.

Carla, with her new copy of 'Burned' by Moning,
seventh in the Fever series.
Really, she should do PR work for books. I bet sales would skyrocket.

I'm not the only one who thinks this, either. Toni Lancey has also found Carla's love for reading contagious.

"Carla is definitely the most dedicated reader I know. She has introduced me to not just several wonderful books and series', but whole genres I'd never heard of. And although I only read a small fraction of what she does (sadly), when we have read the same book it's so much fun to see a completely different take on the same words, or even gush about the hunkiest guys in the book. One of my favorites times with Carla was a road trip to New Orleans, we listened to 'Iced' by Karen Marie Moning. It was so awesome whenever I had an "Oh my gosh!" or "What the heck?!" moment, someone was right there with a comforting, "I know."

Reading is often viewed as a solitary act. Obviously, it doesn't have to be, but even when it is there are plenty of opportunities to bond with loved ones over books. Reading a book your friend loves gives you a deeper knowledge of that person, and shows you care enough about them to make an effort to understand what they love. It can be s frightening thing to do, as well, sometimes showing a vulnerable side.

Carla had this to say about books and how they have impacted her relationships.

"Books have had an interesting affect on my relationships. They have both isolated me and connected me at the same time. Some books can be emotional roller coasters and that can be hard to explain to non-readers. But it's a beautiful thing when I meet other book nerds like me. I have made friends in Canada, the UK, Romania, and New Zealand because of one book series. It's kind of awesome having that kind of connection with people. It's like we all shared an adventure together."

I'd like to thank Carla for being so brave to share her love of books with us, to inspire a passion for the page that has only made our relationship richer.

Happy birthday, Carla!

No comments:

Post a Comment